Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Bloomfield Township Code requires that all people who sell their homes must get a Continuing Certificate of Occupancy from the Building Department. This certificate will suffice for the smoke and carbon monoxide detector compliance. Should your bank insist on a separate certificate, the Fire Prevention Bureau will issue the separate certificate. (There is a $35.00 charge so see if they will accept the one certificate; New Jersey State Law allows for the use of one certificate.)
Show All Answers
The Bloomfield Fire Department's paid force is governed by the rules and regulations of the New Jersey Department of Personnel. A state test is given every 2 years in which you are scored and ranked. The Township then receives a list of eligible candidates, and when a vacancy occurs, a position is then offered to the person or persons on the top of the list. More information regarding the testing process can be found on the New Jersey Department of Personnel's website.
Yes. New Jersey State Law requires that each home have a carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide detectors shall be installed outside of the sleeping area. The Fire Department has specialized equipment to test the air for carbon monoxide. A sounding detector could mean that there is a high concentrate of carbon monoxide in your home. Carbon monoxide is called the "Silent Killer" because it can reduce the amount of oxygen we breathe. Since carbon monoxide has no smell, we have no idea when you have a leak.
It depends on the type of residence you live in. One and two family homes, built prior to 1990, can use battery-operated smoke detectors. All other homes, 3 family and above, are required to have hard wired smoke detectors, either 120 volt or 24 volt. All new homes built after 1990 should have hard wired smoke detectors in them.
Smoke Detectors are designed to provide an early warning to a fire. Smoke detectors should be located in Common Areas (i.e. stairways and basements) and inside sleeping rooms and there should definitely be one just outside of all of the sleeping rooms.
When a battery starts to run low on power, the smoke detector will chirp intermittently to alert you to change your battery. However, you should not wait until it chirps to change the battery. Batteries last about one year in a smoke detector before they start to lose power. A good rule of thumb is to change your batteries when you change your clocks. That will have you changing your batteries at least twice a year enabling your smoke detector to have a good battery in it at all times.
Not only will we install a smoke detector for the seniors and needy, but if they live in a one and two family house, and can’t afford a smoke detector, we will provide one for you for free. Unfortunately, you must live in a one or two family house. New Jersey State Law requires that landlords provide smoke detectors to tenants in homes 3 families or larger, therefore we are unable to provide those people with free smoke detectors.
Strictly, no. It is a violation of the New Jersey Uniform Fire Code to burn openly. This includes leaves, branches, lumber, paper and cardboard. Absolutely no open burning of any kind is allowed.
Propane grills are prohibited from being used on terraces. The reason is that the propane gas, not the fire, presents a danger to the home.
The New Jersey Uniform Fire Code and the National Fire Protection Association recommend that propane appliances are the safest when used a minimum of 5 feet away from a building.
As a "Service Oriented" department, we will endeavor to assist you in gaining entrance to your home if you are locked out. Some new doors and/or locks make it impossible for us to gain entry without doing damage to a door or window. But should you find yourself in this situation, call us and we will do our best to assist you.
Most basement apartments are illegal, especially in 3 family houses, because they do not meet the egress requirements of the building code.
If you have a basement apartment or are considering building one, please check with the Building Inspector in Town Hall for information on requirements and compliance with the Building Code.
If an oil tank is not used anymore, an owner has one year to have it removed or abandoned in place. A Fire Sub-Code permit from the Building Department is required. If an oil tank was removed, and a permit was obtained from the Building Department to remove it, the documentation is available in the Fire Department and/or the Building Department. Just give us a call at the Fire Prevention Bureau and we will check it out for you.
As much as we love little animals, we will attempt to help you but, we cannot risk a firefighter’s safety in doing so. We will endeavor to help you but most cats come down the same way they get up.
The Fire Department does assist residents when local flooding occurs. However, we may not be able to 'pump out' all of the accumulated water. Generally speaking, the pumps available to the department and the town, are used only when there is more then 10 inches of standing water. The pumps will only pump down to approximately the 6 inch level.
A flooded basement has two main safety concerns. Should the water level reach any electrical outlets or the electrical panel. The entire basement could be electrically charged and power should be disconnected before stepping into the water. Additionally, if you have gas heat and/or hot water, the gas main should also be shut down as to prevent natural gas leaking into your home. Only the Public Service Enterprise Group should re-light your heating unit or your hot water heater.
While no one desires to create unnecessary 'noise' and disturb the public's rest, the use of sirens and air horns are necessary and in fact required by law to alert drivers and pedestrians of the presence of emergency vehicles responding to an incident. In today's world with drivers using air conditioning, cell phones, and loud car stereos, many drivers have a difficult time hearing and responding to oncoming emergency vehicles. While every effort is made to limit the use of sirens and air horns at night and early morning hours, their use cannot be eliminated completely.
The Fire Department does not collect or dispose of old propane tanks or fire extinguishers. They can be disposed of through the Essex County Hazardous Waste Facility. The facility usually schedules one day in the spring when you can bring certain hazardous materials that need disposal to their facility. Their phone number is 973-857-2350.
Many homeowner insurance companies will ask how far your house is from a fire house and a fire hydrant. Every structure in Bloomfield is located within 200 feet of a fire hydrant and within 1 mile of a fire station.